These are brief notes about known problems and feature additions. See
News or the git
log for more
- Fixed Text animation/keyframes not working in v19.01.24.
- Fixed distortion when a Mirror filter is placed before a Size and
Position or Rotate and Scale filter.
- Fixed Levels filter in locales with comma for decimal point.
- Fixed launch crash on Linux by excluding libdrm libraries.
- Fixed audio level changed by the Mask : From File filter.
- Fixed Text filter may have glitches with Export > Parallel processing
(regression in v18.12.x).
- Fixed missing file detected when Stabilize filter added without clicking
- Fixed external monitoring on Linux screen.
- Fixed unable to detect hardware encoders with spaces in the installation
- Fixed changing Speed can move a clip.
- Fixed changing Speed has no effect when the system region and language
decimal separators are different.
- Fixed filter duration not adjusted when trimming a transition.
- Fixed ripple trim when clip has a transition.
- Fixed removing a transition by trimming adds some frames.
- Fixed aspect ratio for File > Export Frame with non-square pixel video.
- Fixed handling relative paths to external resources in the Overlay HTML
- Fixed a crash opening a project after removing the bottom video track.
- Fixed the lossless/H.264 preset to be completely lossless.
- Fixed dropping a file from a file manager whose name has special/extended
- Fixed the state of the enabled checkbox for the Overlay HTML filter and
when using a color picker.
- Fixed distortion after changing the Keyframe Type of a keyframe for the
Scale parameter in the Rotate and Scale filter.
- Fixed right-clicking a keyframe to open context menu may change its position.
- Upgraded FFmpeg to v4.1
- Improved Color Grading filter by letting all parameters go from -100% to 100%.
- Added an automatic retry without Parallel processing when Export job fails.
- Set the Save as type list on the Export File dialog on Windows when a
preset defines a filename extension.
- Added Center Playhead option to the Timeline and Keyframes menus.
- Added Slow Zoom __, Hold __ presets to the Size and Position filter.
- Added a Chroma Hold video filter.
- Added a Swirl (HTML) video filter.
- Added a simple Templates framework to the Overlay HTML filter (see
Shotcut\share\shotcut\qml\filters\webvfx\templates to add your own)
with the following templates:
- Blank HTML
- Blue Middle Bar
- Creative Commons Music
- Blank with Web Animations
- Simple Scroll
- Fixed color accuracy of lossless/Ut Video preset and use yuv422p format.
- Fixed number of digits for seconds in the Timer video filter when using Format > MM:SS.SS.
- Fixed compositing completely transparent areas of alpha channel darkens output.
- Fixed some generators (Color Bars, Ising, Lissajous, Plasma) not working correctly in Timeline.
- Fixed Settings > External Monitor > DeckLink/Intensity can stall when Settings > Realtime is enabled.
- Fixed making project folder if a parent folder does not exist.
- Fixed New Project > Start does not save a .mlt file until you open media and save.
- Fixed launch on some Linux (e.g. gentoo) by including libselinux .
- Fixed crash when undo Playlist > Remove All.
- Fixed auto-saved file not removed when save and exit with no changes.
- Fixed the color accuracy of the Color generator.
- Fixed numeric locale bug in the Audio Spectrum Visualization and Audio Waveform Visualization filters.
- Fixed clip reloaded when leaving Properties > Speed with no change.
- Fixed Settings > External Monitor on Windows screen.
- Fixed launch crash on Linux with (Csound) csladspa < 6.11.1 installed.
- Improved color accuracy of internal RGB-to-YUV conversions.
- Changed Quality to 100% when using the intermediate/ProRes preset.
- Added 16:9, 9:16, and 1:1 aspect ratios for transition wipes.
- Moved Properties > Reverse… from the overflow menu to a button.
- Changed Properties > Reverse… to use project folder if used.
- When Reverse job completes, automatically open it and add it to the Playlist
- Start playback from the beginning if you play when the play head is at the end.
- Improved speed of the Text and Timer video filters.
- Added View > Scopes > Video Histogram
- Added Preset to some more filters:
- Audio Gain/Volume
- Added Preset and simple and advanced keyframes to the Balance and Pan audio filters.
- Added a Levels video filter with simple and advanced keyframes!
- Added Properties > Color Range for video clips.
- Replace the Mask video filter with 3 new filters:
- Mask: Simple Shape
- Mask: From File
- Mask: Apply
- Fixed crash in Export (bug in v18.11.13).
- Fixed NVENC hardware encoders on Windows and Linux.
- Fixed VA-API hardware encoders on Linux. As a result, the Linux build is now
based on Ubuntu 16.04 (glibc 2.23), which may reduce compatibility with older
- Fixed hardware encoder detection on Windows.
- Added Audio Waveform Visualization video filter.
- Added MM:SS.SS to Timer filter.
- Added IRE graticule and tooltips to the Video Waveform scope.
- Added support for the mouse wheel to the Color Grading circles.
- Added configuration setting player/warnGPU, which is a boolean that defaults true.
- Added an Advanced mode to Export.
- Added Use hardware encoder checkbox to Export.
- Added VA-API hardware encoding for Linux.
- Added videotoolbox hardware encoding for macOS.
- Added New Project / Recent Projects screen.
- Added 10 Pixel Grid and 20 Pixel Grid options to the player grid button menu.
- Added Spot Remover video filter.
- Added View > Scopes > Video Waveform.
- Added Settings > Video Mode > Non-Broadcast > Square 1080p 30 fps and 60 fps.
- Added Ut Video presets to Export.
- Added signed app bundle for macOS.
- Fixed support for macOS 10.10 and 10.11.
- Fixed clearing export preset search collapses categories.
- Fixed searching export presets in categories.
- Fixed initial rectangle size for Size and Position filter.
- Fixed reopening Timeline changes zoom level.
- Fixed exit sometimes hangs.
- Fixed some filters’ presets do not save any values:
- Key Spill: Advanced
- Chroma Key: Advanced
- Reduce Noise
- Fixed A/V synchronization on some files.
- Fixed seeking on audio files with album art.
- Fixed saving multiple lines of text in preset for Text generator.
- Fixed crash when undoing split and transition on Timeline.
- Fixed filters not applied correctly when using Export > From > Each Playlist Item.
- Improved reliability of Audio/Video Device capture.
- Fixed Color generator did not signal colorspace.
- Fixed transfer characteristic conversion and full range output in Export.
Other for full range output.)
- Made GPU Effects hidden and discouraged.
- Added support for project folder to Stabilize and Overlay HTML filters.
- Increased Scale maximum to 500% for Rotate and Scale filter.
- Improved support for DDS, ICO, and WebP images.
- Bundle more library dependencies on Linux.
- Converted macOS build to standard app bundle layout.
- Added support for Intel Quick Sync Video hardware-accelerated video encoders to the Windows build (in Export > Codec choose h264_qsv or hevc_qsv).
- Added Grid and Safe Area overlays with a toggle/menu button to the player.
- Added snapping to the grid and safe areas for the VUI rectangle control as used by Text, Size and Position, and more filters.
- Added Open Other to the main toolbar with a drop-down menu.
- Added the ability to drag-n-drop folders from a file manager into Shotcut.
- Added the ability to supply multiple file and folder name arguments to the shotcut command line executable.
- Added the ability to make a temporary Custom Video Mode (leave Name blank).
- Added Settings > Video Mode > Custom > Remove….
- Added View > Layout > Remove….
- Added Settings > Clear Recent on Exit checkbox to prevent saving data on a shared computer account.
- Added command line option
--clear-recent to enable Clear Recent on Exit and hide that option in the Settings menu.
- Added a dialog when you click to check for an update that asks if you want to check for update automatically (at startup only) with the option to suppress the dialog indefinitely.
- Fixed audio preview distortion on Windows (regression in v18.09).
- Fixed some AAC MP4 files start in the middle.
- Fixed un-mute a track may not draw its waveforms.
- Fixed whitespace in Text filter removed in Export.
- Fixed crash adding clip to Timeline after removing all tracks.
- Fixed simple keyframes go missing or not all the way to 00:00.
- Fixed switching from simple to advanced keyframes in Text, Rotate and Scale, Timer, and Size and Position filters.
- Fixed a possible crash when adding a transition by trimming.
- Fixed crash on macOS after the app restarts itself when some Settings are changed.
- Fixed moving a clip to the left where the right edge is not a blank.
- Fixed some Timeline actions do not work correctly after a Ripple move.
- Fixed undo/redo form trim-to-transition over a blank/gap.
- Fixed Ripple moving a clip to the end of a track was not extending the hidden black background.
- Hide the Text generator if Settings > GPU Effects is on (incompatible).
- Fixed the Rotate and Scale filter preset not saving keyframes for the Scale parameter.
- Fixed a crash opening multiple files at once either through File > Open or drag-n-drop from a file manager.
- Fixed a crash closing a playlist-only project with Automatic Video Mode.
- Fixed changing position or removing advanced keyframes for the Scale parameter of the Rotate and Scale filter distorting the aspect ratio of the image.
- Fixed Timeline > Split not working if the current track is empty. (It should split the topmost clip under the playhead.)
- Fixed clicking the reset button of the Center checkbox of the Crop filter does not re-enable the other controls.
- Fixed the Timeline and Keyframes timeline rulers are incorrect after changing Settings > Video Mode.
- Fixed a crash when the project frame rate is very low (< 6 fps).
- Fixed a crash when switching keyframes on and off for position and size parameters in video filter such as Size and Position, Text, and Timer.
- Fixed trimming multiple track filters hides them.
- Fixed making a Text preset does not save the text (only all other parameters).
- Changed resolution restriction from a multiple of 8 to a multiple of 2.
- Improved the layout of the filter chooser in Filters.
- Changed Timeline fade controls to behave the same as Keyframes simple keyframes.
- Changed the Noise generator from opening as a live source to a clip with a duration.
- Changed drag-n-drop to Playlist to not automatically open the first file unless the project is empty.
- Changed the Rotation parameter of the Mask filter to use degrees, and fixed its reset button.
- Added more library dependencies to the Linux portable tar, AppImage, and snap builds including the SWH LADSPA plugins.
Fixed broken color selection in the following (non-GPU) video filters:
- Chroma Key: Simple
- Chroma Key: Advanced
- Key Spill: Advanced
- White Balance
- Fixed image transform regression in Rotate and Scale, Size and
Position, and Text filters.
- Fixed image scaling interpolation method when not using a transform filter.
- Fixed a crash applying an image transform filter to an image with alpha
channel (PNG, SVG).
- Added a highlight for the buttons in the Filters chooser.
- Fixed new Ripple and Snapping keyboard shortcuts not always working.
- Fixed moving a clip to another track and back not working correctly.
- Fixed dragging clips to the Timeline stops working.
- Fixed redo trimming the in point of clip on Timeline not working correctly.
- Added Ripple support for moving clips including Ripple All Tracks.
- When Ripple is on and you move a clip to the right, it now
ripples (pushes) all the clips to the right instead of making a transition
(including the Ripple All Tracks option).
- Added Ctrl+R keyboard shortcut to toggle Timeline Ripple,
Ctrl+Alt+R to toggle Ripple All Tracks, and
Ctrl+Shift+R to toggle both.
- Improved Snapping behavior on the Timeline.
- Added Ctrl+P keyboard shortcut to toggle Snapping.
- Added Reset Track Height (Ctrl+0) to the Timeline menu.
- Added a Timer video filter.
- Added support for negative rotation to the Rotate and Scale filter.
- Added Shake 1 Second - Scaled and Shake 1 Second - Unscaled presets
to the Size and Position filter.
- Added a Text clip to the Open Other dialog.
This is a convenience item that creates a transparent Color clip with a
- Added Extract Sub-clip to Properties menu for audio/video clip.
- Added Export presets for WebM VP8 and VP9 with alpha channel.
- Fixed a crash when quickly changing clip selections in the Timeline.
- Improved closing Shotcut more reliably and the behavior of multiple shotcut
- Fixed Undo beyond Remove Track may crash.
- Fixed a crash when moving a clip after undoing a transition.
- Fixed a crash loading project after some sequence of inserting and removing tracks.
- Fixed a crash loading an image with the wrong filename extension.
- Fixed OS audio device changes may cause Shotcut to hang.
- Fixed crash dragging simple keyframes beyond the edges of the clip.
- The 32-bit Windows build can use more memory to reduce risk of crash:
3 GiB on 32-bit Windows and 4 GiB on 64-bit Windows.
- Improved behavior of opening WebP images.
- Fixed advanced keyframes for the Size and Position filter.
- Fixed inserted and then hidden video tracks become audio tracks after
re-opening the project.
- Fixed changing Video Mode from Automatic to something else with
- Fixed moving a transition to another track leaves a hidden clip on the old track.
- Fixed trimming the out point of a timeline clip may change the in point of
the following clip.
- Fixed Properties > Speed, Convert, Reverse, and
More Information does not work sometimes after reloading a project.
- Fixed reliability of changing size and position fields with keyframes
in Size and Position and Text filters.
- Fixed trimming outward with Ripple All Tracks moved clips on other tracks
in the wrong direction.
- Fixed audio waveforms still appear on muted tracks after adding a track.
- Fixed edges of text with the Text filter may get cut off (clipped).
- Fixed Size and Position and Rotate and Scale filters may leave black
right and bottom edge of frame.
- Fixed trimming a timeline clip with Fade In/Out Video filters
with “Adjust opacity instead of fade with black” enabled.
- Fixed Export may change the actual frame rate and cause timing errors.
- Fixed reducing the Frame/sec in Export causes timing errors in the output.
- Removed the Compositing toggle icon from the Timeline track head. Now,
it is located in the track Properties as Blend mode with a None option.
- In the 3D Text filter, replaced the Droid fonts with Liberation due to an
- Improved the performance of changing filter parameters and scrubbing.
- Limit the number of background thumbnail and waveform generation threads to 4.
- Prevent trying to generate audio levels for waveforms for still images and
other silent sources.
- Fixed regression in 18.08.11 that can put corrupt character in the .mlt XML
- Fixed the size of an existing Text filter with animation breaks if you
select the clip and the filter.
- Fixed new crash in v18.08 changing Settings > Video Mode with nothing opened.
- Fixed crash while adjusting position or size in Text and Size and Position filters.
- Fixed position and size information incorrect if resolution or aspect ratio changed in Export.
- Fixed Text animation (keyframes) when not the first clip in the timeline.
- Fixed track name not editable after the track head had been selected at least once.
- Fixed right-clicking a timeline clip breaks automatic timeline scrolling during playback.
- Added Quicktime Animation Export preset to export video with alpha channel.
- In Export, let option values in Other tab override values generated by other fields.
- Added the timecode of failure to the Jobs panel when an export job fails
(makes locating problem areas in the project easier).
- Added an Unpremultiply Alpha video filter (handy to fix compositing for
video clips with an alpha channel that has had its color pre-multiplied with
- Fixed various crash regressions since v18.05.
- Fixed audio distortion during preview (regression in v18.07).
- Fixed custom Export presets broken if name contains parentheses
(regression in v18.07).
- Fixed Properties > Reverse… broken if numeric region setting uses comma
for decimal (regression in v18.07).
- Fixed Overlay HTML editor easily destroys default scripts (introduced in
- Fixed custom interlaced Export presets loading as progressive (regression
- Fixed Timeline > Copy Timeline to Source > Export fails on unsaved
- Fixed Text filter has aliased edges (regression in v18.07).
- Fixed Stabilize video filter not available on Linux (regression since v18.06).
- Fixed changing Speed in Properties breaks all filters on that clip
(regression since v18.05).
- Fixed Fade Out Video (and keyframes in general) broken on still images
whose in point is > 0 (regression since v18.03).
- Fixed accuracy of Properties > Duration for image clip on the timeline.
- Some fixes for changing Settings > Video Mode after starting a project.
- Fixed compositing of upper video tracks becomes broken if bottom video track
- Fixed images with alpha channel (e.g. PNG) on upper video tracks have dark
edges after compositing if the Size and Position or Rotate and Scale
filters are not used.
- Numerous fixes as usual.
- Changed shortcut for Add Video Track to
- Changed shortcut for Redo to
Ctrl+Y on Windows.
- Added 10% to the player zoom menu.
- Hide the VUI (video user interface) when the play head is not over the clip with the current filter.
- Renamed the Rotate filter to Rotate and Scale.
- Keyframes are now saved in the project file using time clock values instead of frame numbers to make them adaptive to frame rate.
- Reverted memory manager change from v18.05 pending further testing to improve stability.
- Added advanced keyframes to the Size and Position filter.
- Added simple and advanced keyframes to the following video filters:
- Rotate and Scale
* = including the (still experimental) GPU filter
- Added Copy Timeline to Source to Timeline menu.
- Changed the audio codec to AC-3 for the edit-friendly and reverse MP4 file format.
K key behavior to change speed up or down before changing direction.
- Added categories to the Export presets (custom presets can start their name with “category)” to use a category).
- Added View > Layout menu for custom and stock layouts:
- Timeline Project
- Playlist Project
- Clip-only Project
- Changed the default, first-time user UI layout to Timeline Project.
- Changed Properties > menu > Reverse… to work on a trimmed clip from either Source or Timeline.
- Added Properties menu items to the context menus for Timeline and timeline clips.
- Added logic to sort GoPro files when multiple files are opened or dropped.
- Added support for setting project file name (using File > Save) for empty project.
- Added search field to the filter chooser in Filters.
- Upgraded MLT to v6.10.0
- Many bug fixes due to introduction of keyframes and change to memory management in v18.05.
- Added simple and advanced Keyframes to the Blur, Mask, and Saturation filters.
- Added seek buttons for simple Keyframes.
- Added ability to add and remove advanced Keyframes using double-click.
- Added ability to drag advanced Keyframes to adjust both value and position.
(When dragging, hold down Ctrl key to adjust only value or Alt key to adjust only position.)
- Added double-click to toggle simple Keyframes controls (circles).
- Added double-click to toggle fade in/out controls (circles) on Timeline clip.
- Added many animated (keyframes) presets to the Size and Position filter.
- Added Hue/Lightness/Saturation video filter.
- Added Reverse to clip Properties menu.
- Added Detach Audio to timeline clip’s context menu.
- Added 5.1 surround support to the Copy Channel and Swap Channels audio filters.
- Added caution message to GPU Effects confirmation dialog.
- Added a Keyboard Shortcuts link to the Help menu.
- Changed presets file format to YAML.
- Changed Settings > GPU Processing to GPU Effects.
- Reduced memory usage on 32-bit builds (by constraining multi-threading).
- Upgraded FFmpeg to v4.0.
- Integrated AMD AMF hardware-accelerated H.264 and HEVC encoders on Windows (Set Export > Codec to h264_amf or hevc_amf. Requires recent Radeon or AMD APU.)
- Upgraded MLT to git master (v6.8.0 minimum required to build).
- Added Keyframes for Filters:
- Gain / Volume
- Circular Frame
- Color Grading (no simple)
- Size and Position (simple only)
- Added support for mono and 5.1 surround sound: Settings > Audio Channels and Export >Audio > Channels.
- Added Finnish translation.
- Restored GIF Animation for Export.
- Reduced memory footprint (especially for Rotate and Size and Position filters).
- Changed Export default settings to reduce output size by increasing GOP and number of B frames.
- Added a Sketch filter.
- Added numeric fields to the Color Grading filter.
- Added All option to Properties > Audio > Track.
- Added Estonian translation.
- Improved image loading speed on Windows.
- Improved mouse-wheel & trackpad scrolling in Timeline.
- Improved support for JACK Audio (Linux and macOS only).
- Upgraded FFmpeg to version 3.4 and latest vpx for much faster VP9 encoding.
- Upgrade MLT to v6.6.0.
- Upgraded SDL to version 2.0.
- Added Audio Spectrum Visualization filter.
- Added support for font size and italics to Text filter.
- Added a Mask filter.
- Another important fix for accuracy of XML time values for non-integer frame rates.
- Added icon, progress bar, and time remaining/taken to Jobs panel.
- Increased maximum resolution to 8192x8192.
- Indicate if variable frame rate is detected in Properties.
- Added Convert to Edit-friendly… dialog when variable frame rate or non-seekable file opened.
- Added Convert to Edit-friendly… to Properties menu for video and audio files.
- Adding, removing, and adjusting Fade In/Out filters now updates fade controls on the Timeline.
- Major speed improvements for Timeline rendering, especially when changing zoom level.
- Stop showing waveforms on muted tracks.
- Fixed audio crackling on some systems.
- Fixed accuracy of reading and writing time values, particularly for non-integer frame rates.
- Changed add-filter menu to be embedded instead of popup.
- Added Master label to Timeline.
- Show filters icon on track heads if track is filtered.
- Prioritize ‘0’ shortcut for Timeline over Playlist.
- Do not adjust timeline zoom until slider is released.
- Added warning dialog to Export if file cannot be written (e.g. due to permissions).
- Added warning dialog to Export if chosen file is in the project.
- Added warning dialog to Export if the drive is low on space.
- Added Nepali translation.
- Added button to Text filter to insert the # symbol.
- Fixed multi-threaded decoding with FFmpeg v3.2.
- Added 1080p 59.94 and 60 fps video modes.
- Added support for NVENC to Export panel.
- Show in Folder now selects the file on Windows Explorer or macOS Finder.
- Renewed the code signing certificate for the Windows installer and executable.
- Updated SDL to v2.0
- Updated FFmpeg to v3.2
- Updated x264, x265, and vp8/9 to the latest stable versions.
--noupgrade command line option and boolean General/noupgrade option to config/registry options.
- Increased maximum Timeline zoom level.
- Increased Speed field precision to 3 decimal places.
- Increased maximum value for Speed field to 200x.
- Added Norwegian Bokmål translation.
- Change maximum duration of a still image from 10 minutes to 4 hours.
- Added Hungarian translation.
- Fixed Chinese translation.
- Fix opening and saving files on Windows with non-Latin characters in the name or path.
- Updated translations.
- Fix crashing on launch on the new macOS 10.12.4.
- Added Japanese translation.
- Added Turkish translation.
- Converted the track toggle buttons to icons.
- Now, you can press Del or Backspace to delete a selected item in the Recent panel.
- Playback now pauses at the out point in the Source player.
- Some stability improvements.
- Performance boost for Size & Position and Rotate filters on multi-CPU systems.
- Fixed drag-n-drop from other than C: drive on Windows.
- Fixed ‘/’ getting added to front of file paths on Windows.
- Fixed the MLT XML repair tool not correctly handling decimal point in some
- Fixed opening a network stream.
- Improved support for image sequences.
- Improved device capture.
- Added Slovenian translation.
- Mostly just bug fixes.
- Added Chinese Taiwan translation.
- Added Constrained VBR for the video codec rate control mode to Export.
- Added Fixed option to video GOP to Export.
- New audio mixing mode that does not affect levels.
- Increased usage of floating point for audio processing to improve quality.
- Added Occitan translation.
- More fixes for copying filters and LUT (3D) video filter.
- Added portable app feature with Settings > App Data Directory and
--appdata command line argument.
- Fixed drag-n-drop to Timeline after moving clip to different track.
- Fixed LUT (3D) filter for languages/regions that use comma for decimal point.
- Fixed Properties > Speed on macOS for languages/regions that use comma for decimal point.
- Added Gaelic (Scottish) translation.
- Added 32-bit Windows build.
- Changed Linux build to be more compatible.
- Added LUT (3D) video filter.
- Added Lens Correction video filter.
- Added Merge with next clip to Timeline clip context menu.
- Fixed Paste Filters for Timeline clips and tracks.
- Removed File > Open Other > Screen.
- Added Tiles, Icons, and Details view modes to Playlist.
- Added Copy Filters and Paste Filters.
- Upgraded Qt to v5.6.1 with HiDPI support. (Set environment variable QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0 to turn it off.)
- Converted some 16x16 icons to 32x32 for HiDPI.
- Moved the Timeline Zoom slider to the toolbar.
- Added count-down (or up) generator: File > Open Other > Count
- Major performance boost for opaque clips on video tracks higher than V1 with track Composite enabled and Blend mode: Over.
- Added File > Export Frame…
- Added Remove transition to History by trimming a neighboring clip to
- Fixed version checker.
- Show red outline on scrub bar of Source player to indicate selection.
- Added Cut, Copy, and Paste to Edit menu and Timeline tool bar.
- Changed double-click on Timeline clip to select+seek instead of copying to Source player.
- Changed Timeline keyboard shortcut A to append.
- Changed Timeline keyboard shortcut C to copy.
- Changed Timeline keyboard shortcut Enter to seek to start of clip.
- Added Peak and True Peak meters to the Audio Loudness scope.
- Added version/upgrade-checker.
- Added check for missing files when opening .mlt XML project file.
- Added dialog to locate and resolve (relink) missing files in project file.
- For clips with speed changed, added support for saving and loading relative path and file names.
- Added Export EDL to the File menu.
- Added YouTube preset to Export (which does the same thing as not changing any export settings, not selecting an export preset, or clicking Reset).
- Updated Blackmagic Design SDI/HDMI output to work with recent driver updates.
- Mostly just fixes.
- Added Remove to Jobs panel.
- Added 25% option to player’s Zoom button-menu.
- Improved application logging.
- Moved status messages front and central and removed status bar.
- Fixed frequently reported problem with black video on Export.
- Fixed a few crashing bugs.
- Added an option to Windows installer to remove registry settings to help people with new crash-on-launch problems.
- Reduced memory usage when exporting a playlist or multitrack project.
- Added Normalize: One Pass audio filter (existing Normalize renamed Normalize: Two Pass.
- Added Audio Loudness to View > Scopes.
- Added Brightness video filter for CPU and GPU.
- Added Contrast video filter for CPU and GPU.
- Added Reduce Noise video filter for CPU only.
- Install ffplay and ffprobe executables.
- Improved visual feedback about what is selected in Timeline, Properties, and Filters views.
- Added More Information to clip Properties overflow-menu.
- Added Start Integrity Check Job to clip Properties overflow-menu.
- Added auto-rotate for video clips with orientation metadata.
- Added a Ukranian translation.
- Changed player tab Program to Project.
- Changed panel name Encode to Export.
- Added a From field to the Export panel to allow exporting the project, a
clip loaded in the Source tab of the player, or or each playlist item as a batch of jobs.
- Added an export preset for animated GIF.
- Upgraded FFmpeg to v3.0.
- Upgraded MLT to v6.0.0.
- Audio waveforms on timeline are updated incrementally as progress is made.
- Allow dual pass encoding for CBR.
- Added Show Video Thumbnails option to the timeline menu.
- Added Rebuild Audio Waveform to a timeline clip’s context menu.
- Added Speed parameter to Properties for an audio/video clip.
- Added Properties views for track and timeline when selected.
Click track head to select track; click the timeline’s cornerstone
(top left block) to select the timeline.
- Added Blend mode to track properties (not available in GPU
processing mode; only applies when compositing is enabled in the
- Added Alpha Channel: View video filter.
- Added Alpha Channel: Adjust video filter.
- Added Chroma Key: Simple video filter.
- Added Chroma Key: Advanced video filter.
- Added Key Spill: Simple video filter.
- Added Key Spill: Advanced video filter.
- And, as usual, a bunch of fixes and translation updates.
Note: none of the above, new video filters can utilize GPU-processing at
- Added crash recovery for untitled sessions.
- Added Slovak translation.
- Added Rutt-Etra-Izer video filter.
- Added audio/video device and screen capture for OS X.
- Added screen capture for Windows.
- Added Application Log to View menu.
- Added Save button to text viewer dialogs (logs, XML).
- Added video Deinterlace, Interpolation, and Parallel-processing
options to Encode panel.
- Reorganize the Settings menu and added headings.
- Added Close action to File menu.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for trimming on Timeline: I, Shift+I,
- Added support for ripple trimming on Timeline.
- Mostly just bug fixes.
- Added Dutch translation.
- Added Russian translation.
- Added project check and repair function.
- Added Scrub Audio to Settings menu.
- Added Display Method to Settings menu (Windows only).
- Added Portugal Portuguese translation.
- Added Mute audio filter.
- Updated Qt to v5.5.
- Updated FFmpeg to v2.7.
- Added a Greek translation.
- Added a Ripple All Tracks option to the Timeline menu.
- 4 new audio dynamics filters:
- 4K UHD support
- 5 new video filters:
- Old Film: Dust
- Old Film: Grain
- Old Film: Projector
- Old Film: Scratches
- Old Film: Technocolor
- 5 new audio filters:
- Bass & Treble (3-band graphic equalizer)
- Band Pass
- High Pass
- Low Pass
- Added Insert Track and Remove Track.
- New default Encode settings produce a better quality H.264 MP4 file.
- Composite now defaults to on/enabled for new video tracks.
- Added 64-bit Windows build.
- Added Audio Spectrum analyzer.
- Changed audio Gain filter to use dB and log scale.
- Added a toggle button to Lock a track.
- Changed Insert and Ripple Delete to ripple across all
- Changed keyboard shortcut to adjust track height to Ctrl+-
- Added keyboard shortcuts to toggle track:
- Mute - Ctrl+M
- Hide - Ctrl+H
- Lock - Ctrl+C
- Add Distort option to Size and Position filter.
- Add video Cut option to Transition Properties.
- Code-sign Windows executable and installer.
- In Timeline, operate on clip under the play head if nothing
- New keyboard shortcuts for Timeline:
- Select clip under play head: Ctrl+Space.
- Move selection one item to the right/left: Ctrl+Right/Left.
- Blanks can be selected to remove/ripple-delete: X or Shift+Del
- Deselect everything: Ctrl+D.
- Open As Clip: Enter/Return.
- Added an audio tone generator (in File > Open > Other).
- Now you can set a new default duration for audio or video
- The WebM VP9 encode preset enables multi-threaded encoding.
- Add Update button to Playlist panel.
- Double-clicking a successfully completed Encode job, now opens the
result in Shotcut.
- Consolidate GPU and Video filters in Filter menu.
- Add View > Scopes > Audio Waveform.
- Move audio peak meter to View > Scopes > Audio Peak Meter and
main toolbar button.
- Move volume slider to player toolbar icon.
- Add x265 codec.
- Add video quality measurement tool.
- No longer auto-plays upon opening a playlist or multitrack project.
- Auto-select all text upon giving a timecode field focus.
- Only a few bug fixes and translation updates.
- New filter menu allows you favorite filters and see only favorites.
- CPU-based video filters can be added after GPU-based filters.
- The HTML5 features are finally available on Windows!
- Add source code editing to the HTML editor.
- Add 3D Text filter based on WebGL, typeface.js, and three.js.
- Add support for DirectShow devices on Windows in the Open
- Add the Opus audio codec.
- Change the VP9 WebM preset to use the Opus audio codec.
- Add support for the #localtime# keyword to the Text filter (no
- Restart instead of simply closing the app when changing the GPU or
- Change the Redo keyboard shortcut to Ctrl+Y on Windows only.
- Save file paths in MLT XML with relative names for assets in the
same folder or sub-folder. This makes it easier to use a relocatable
- Add scale and offset parameters and a preset widget to the
Rotate filter. Usually after rotating a video, part of the image has
been clipped. These new parameters provide control for that clipping
processing including no clipping.
- Add Italian translation.
- Maintenance release to fix some bugs.
- Added Polish translation.
- Restored FFV1 encoding and preset.
- Change Leap Motion control: close hand to pause, open hand
- Added WMV and WMA encode presets.
- Enabled the video player zoom and pan controls for OS X.
- Added Size and Position video filter with a rectangle control that
overlays the video player.
- Added a simple Text video filter also with rectangle
control overlay. This is a dynamic text filter supports pre-defined
variables: Timecode, Frame #, File date, File name.
- Enabled parallel video processing for Encode File on systems with
more than 2 logical cores when not using GPU Processing. This
makes encoding faster when using filters, transitions,
- Added an Opacity video filter.
- Added an option on video fade filters: Adjust opacity instead of
fade with black.
- Now you can add filters to an entire track by clicking the track
head and using the Filters panel.
- New projects created with this version now load much more quickly.
- Now the Stabilize video filter really does work on Windows.
- Added a Gamma menu item to the Settings menu when in GPU mode, which
performs gamma correction. Previously, the display gamma was fixed
at sRGB, but now you can choose Rec. 709. Previously, when applying
a GPU filter, Shotcut would output sRGB gamma when encoding to a
Y’CbCr file, and that has been removed/fixed.
- Transfer characteristic (gamma) metadata is now written to video
files that support it (e.g., H.264).
- The filter UI layout now automatically adapts to a horizontal or
vertical layout to suit more workspace layouts.
- Upgraded FFmpeg to version 2.3.
- add “Remove Old Program Files” option to Windows installer
- ask to exit if there are unfinished jobs
- fix crash when loading invalid XML
- add auto-save
- fix frames repeating at end of some clips
- fix Stabilize filter on Windows
- add elegant combination slider and spinner control and revise all
filter UIs to use it
- cleanup all filter UIs to be consistent with other areas of UI
- improve tooltips on timeline track headers
- fix bug that gives you a MLT-XML GPU warning when the Balance or Pan
filters are in a project
- Save to app config the folder path name of last saved project XML.
Then, use this path to default save dialogs such as next XML or
video stabilization data.
- On OS X, when using System theme, stack the display volume and mute
toggles so these widgets do not appear so wide.
- Workaround for the Stabilize filter’s analysis job crashing on
The analysis job still crashes at the end, but
the data is still created and usable. So, go ahead and try to use
the data regardless of the job’s failure.
- Make adjusting image duration on timeline easier.
the Duration field in Properties adjusts the out point, and the
actual duration is 10 minutes. This lets you add just a few seconds
to the Timeline by default but then stretch or shrink the image clip
on the timeline up to 10 minutes. If you need more than 10 minutes,
add the clip to the track again.
- upgrade x264 to git master and FFmpeg to v2.2
- check compatibility of MLT XML with current GPU processing mode
- introduce logging program activity to text file
- more fixes for file names with extended characters on Windows
- fix opening files with path/name with extended characters on Windows
- upgrade to Movit 1.1.1 and replace GLEW with libepoxy
Release 14.05 and Earlier
- 14.04.29: fix crash on Windows w/GPU upon closing Color Grading
- 14.04.17: add Wave filter
- 14.04.14: fix huge memory leak introduced in v14.04.05 while working
with interlaced clips with GPU Processing enabled
- 14.04.12: fix Overlay HTML filter appearing in filter list as
- 14.04.09: now provide 3 simultaneous color wheels for CPU-based
Color Grading filter
- 14.04.08: add Catalan language
- 14.04.04: require shift key to make editing keyboard shortcuts
target the playlist instead of the timeline
- 14.04.03: improved reliability for some FLV files and music with
- restore Crop filter for GPU
- fix drag-n-drop from playlist to timeline
- 14.03.27: fix GPU processing on OS X
- add GPU support for video wipe transitions
- fix aspect ratio of encoding on Windows in locales that use
comma for decimal point (broken since 14.02.27)
- 14.03.25: GPU processing upgrades broke on OS X
- 14.03.24: add transition properties and video wipes
- 14.03.23: add transition by trimming
- 14.03.19: add resizing transition
- 14.03.17: display a time delta while moving, trimming, and fading on
- 14.03.12: add initial support for cross-fade audio and video
- 14.03.11: add Open XML As Clip to File menu
- 14.03.09: in Encode, lock-down video parameters for presets that
have specific resolution and framerate
- add search for encode presets
- add Show Audio Waveforms toggle to timeline menu
|14.03.02: add seeking to previous and next edit points using
||buttons or alt+left/right keyboard shortcuts
- 14.03.01: add Fade In and Fade Out audio filters and Fade From Black
and Fade To Black video filters with special timeline fader controls
- more fixes for locales using comma for decimal point on Windows
- add a Set Default button for duration to the image properties
- add insert and overwrite for drag-n-drop into timeline
- add option to scrub over timeline when dragging clips into
timeline or within it
- show clip properties for selected shot on timeline
- 14.02.17: fix overwrite spanning multiple clips & gaps and undo for
- 14.02.15: fix a luma (brightness) change when applying non-GPU
- 14.02.14: fix undoing a split
- fix drag-n-drop from Source player to Timeline on Windows and OS
- add keyboard shortcut ‘S’ to split clip under playhead on
- 14.02.12: fix encoding with GPU processing on Windows
- fix GPU processing on Windows (where compatible)
- new video stabilization (
faster) and audio
normalization ( EBU R128)
(video stabilization still crashes on
Windows 8, but works for us on Windows 7 and other OS)
- 14.02.08: rework integration of playlist and timeline and change
player tabs to Source / Program
- 14.02.05: add external monitoring on additional system monitor
- 14.02.04: track compositing fixes
- 14.02.03: fix crash on startup on Windows with dock title bars
- fix accuracy of edits when saving and loading project XML in
locales with radix not a period
- set the UI locale from the language or host OS locale so that
radix appears and interpreted correctly
- add Restore Layout to View menu
- add Show Title Bars to View menu
- 14.01.30: add Split At Playhead to context menu of clip on timeline
- 14.01.29: add saving and loading of playlist in a timeline project
- 14.01.28: upgrade FFmpeg libs to v2.1
- 14.01.27: reduce GPU memory usage with GPU processing
- 14.01.25: fix crash using audio only clip on Windows
- 14.01.23: fix inserting into playlist by menu or keyboard command
(fix for OS X is in v14.01.24)
- 14.01.21: fix broken MP3 encode preset and sometimes wrong aspect
ratio in encode
- 14.01.20: add Vignette and Diffusion (GPU only) filters
- 14.01.14: improve GPU processing performance
- 14.01.05 - 14.01.18: various timeline bug fixes
- 14.01.05: added insert and overwrite edits
- fix GPU processing to work with Timeline
- re-enable GPU processing for Windows (still only partially works
on some systems)
- fix broken timeline on Windows
- fix putting Timeline panel in a tab stacked with other panels
- let Timeline panel be moved to top of window or floated
- 13.12.29: timeline broken on Windows
- 13.12.28: add multitrack timeline
- 13.12.26: fix OS X build broken since v13.12.21 due to Qt upgrade
- 13.12.22: upgrade Qt to version 5.2.0
- fix process not completely closing on Windows
- fix broken keyboard shortcuts when not using English
- 13.11.18: add Invert and Sepia Tone video filters
- 13.11.17: add OpenGL version and extension test
- 13.11.15: add thumbnail caching
- fix keyboard cursor left/right and page/up down (on Linux,
issues still persist on Windows, OS X)
- add Stabilize video filter
- add Downmix audio filter
- add Swap Channels audio filter
- 13.11.06: add audio Normalize filter
- add player zoom button
- broke keyboard cursor left/right and page up/down for navigating
video (workaround: click on scrub bar to give it focus)
- 13.10.29: fix H.264 encoding on Windows - broken since 13.10.02
- 13.10.28: add Rotate video filter
- fix encode when GPU is enabled (regression since 13.09.30)
- add DeckLink keyer capability
- add WebVfx producer widget so you can set HTML generator
transparent (handy for keying HTML)
- 13.10.17: add audio Pan and Balance filters
- 13.10.16: fix loading tractor-based MLT XML files (e.g. from
Kdenlive or OpenShot)
- 13.10.15: fix Leap Motion for Linux and Windows
- disable Leap Motion in Linux builds
- fix opening correct file from Recent search
- add first audio filters
- 13.10.10: conflict between QtWebKit and libLeap on Linux resulting
in crash when loading HTML over HTTP
- 13.10.09: crashes in Recent panel when opening new (not in recent)
file (downloads deleted since high visibility crash)
- 13.10.08: add search field to Recent panel
- 13.10.02 - 13.10.07: writes incorrect playlist
- 13.09.21: Best known version before Qt 5 upgrade