New Version 21.05.01: Time Remap
May 2, 2021
Version 21.05.01 is now available for DOWNLOAD!
Projects created with this version can NOT be directly loaded by a previous version. Only versions 21.02 and
21.03 can repair projects created in this version by removing all Time Remap filters.
Time Remap and Speed Ramping!
Usage requires knowledge of how to use Keyframes. Basic, quick-start usage is Filters > Time > Time Remap > Keyframes.
Go to this forum post for more usage information.
- If you try to use it on a video clip with B-frames (a video encoding technology) Shotcut will show
the Convert to Edit-friendly… dialog.
- This filter cannot be disabled.
- This filter does not support simple keyframes or filter trimming.
- This filter can not be applied to tracks or the timeline output.
- Disabled Smooth keyframes for Time Remap to prevent unexpected direction changes.
Apple Silicon (M1) a.k.a. ARM64
We now have a native (not using Rosetta 2) build working on Apple M1 devices! This is not yet a universal app, maybe
later in the year for that. This build does not support JACK Audio. Get
- Added a new filter Time Remap in the new Time category that affects both audio and video.
- Added an Apple Silicon build.
- Added an option to Ignore missing files in Export > Export File (blocking dialog added in v21.01).
- Added a suggested file name to File > Export Frame… and remembers the last chosen format. These changes make
this feature more convenient.
- Added a button in the Keyframes parameter track header to vertically zoom in to the minimum and maximumn values.
- Added a Use Sub-clip checkbox to the Convert to Edit-friendly dialog, under Advanced. This will convert
only the trimmed portion of a clip plus up to 15 seconds before the in point and after the out point for a timeline
clip. When this is on, only the selected clip is replaced and not every clip based on the same source. This option
is especially convenient for use with Time Remap in which case it defaults to on if the clip has been trimmed.
- Added a Keep Advanced open checkbox to the Convert to Edit-friendly dialog that remembers your choice between
- Added a status message tip about useful keyboard modifiers to use when dragging keyframes.
- Added the display of minimum, maximum, and midpoint values to the vertical axis of curved parameters in Keyframes.
- Improved the sound quality for Properties > Pitch Compensation when Speed is between 0.5 and 2.0.
- Changed Keyframes when trimming a clip or filter to move, delete, or disable full keyframes.
- Upgraded FFmpeg to version 4.3.2
- Upgraded Rubberband (pitch) to version 1.9.1
- Upgraded MLT (engine) to pre-release version 7.0.0
- Improved the color accuracy of the video preview.
- Converted all numeric text fields in filters to spinners.
- Reduced memory in audio resampler per clip.
- Fixed black frames in slideshow (broken in v21.02).
- Fixed Export Frame dialog reappears (broken in v21.02).
- Fixed Opacity filter may misbehave when using all smooth keyframes.
- Fixed Export > Format =
flac does not write a file with a duration.
- Fixed using the mouse wheel over zoom sliders in Timeline and Keyframes.
- Fixed an incorrect path to a file in proxy mode when the path starts with the name of a sibling folder.
- Fixed converting non-animated Text: HTML to Text: Rich.
- Fixed filter values do not update when moving keyframes.
- Fixed waveform after adding a transition by drag a clip to the left.
- Fixed showing
blank as a missing file.
- Fixed a possible crash on setting Properties > Speed higher than 23x.
- Fixed a possible infinite loop in Pitch audio filter or Properties > Pitch Compensation.
- Fixed disabling Keyframes toolbar buttons for trim and simple keyframes if they are not supported.
- Fixed a custom export preset may not include attributes of the video mode
- Fixed video glitches using multiple Text: Rich filters with Export > Video > Parallel processing.
- Fixed Undo after using the ripple trim in shortcut (broken in v21.03).
- Fixed applying a custom preset for the Contrast video filter.
- Fixed the Timeline ruler may be incorrect after starting a new project in the same session.
- Fixed some filters may get lost after Undo a Split operation.
- Added a context menu to Text: Simple and all numeric spinners (broken in v21.02).
- Fixed changing Properties on a timeline clip moved to another track overwrites Playlist items.
- Fixed Properties > Repeat for an image sequence.
- Fixed a crash changing the Size, Position & Rotate after applying a shake preset.
- Fixed a possible deadlock changing Properties > Speed when Video Mode is NOT Automatic.
- Fixed disabling keyboard shortcuts for disabled filter trimming and simple keyframe actions.
- Do not let a keyframe be placed beyond the end of a clip.
- Fixed PNG and GIF as album art in music or poster image (previously only JPEG).
- Fixed Detach Audio might go to a hidden video track.
- Fixed updating the clip name in Playlist and Timeline with its speed when changing Properties > Speed.
- Fixed a rounding error in aspect ratio of a custom video mode that could cause problems on certain resolutions.
- Fixed showing a non-functional keyboard shortcut X in the context menu for a blank region of the Timeline.
New Version 21.03.21
Mar 21, 2021
Version 21.03.21 is now available for DOWNLOAD!
The main purpose of the 21.03 release is to address new, major problems introduced in recent versions:
blank considered missing and blocking export (broke in v21.01).
- Added an Ignore button to the missing files error dialog in Export.
- Fixed black frames appearing in Slideshow Generator (broke in v20.02).
- Fixed being able to use mouse wheel over Timeline and Keyframes zoom sliders (broke in v20.01).
- Improved sound quality with small changes in Speed with Pitch Compensation or Pitch audio filter
(broke in v20.11).
- Fixed the Timeline clip audio waveform incorrect after adding transition by dragging the clip left.
- Fixed repairing a project file opened using a network path on Windows.
- Fixed writing a raw FLAC file does not set its duration.
- Fixed an elided file name in clip Properties can become the clip name.
New Version 21.02.27
Feb 27, 2021
Version 21.02.27 is now available for DOWNLOAD!
The main purpose of the 21.02 release is to address problems as a result of some major changes in version 21.01.
- Added a file naming dialog for Export > From > Each Playlist Item > Export File.
- Added the ability to repair a near future version project file.
(Version 21.04 is expected to change the project file in a manner incompatible with previous versions.)
- Added an error dialog when trying to open a far future version project file.
- Upgraded JACK audio library on Windows to version 1.9.17.
- Fixed a possible crash using a PNG with alpha channel (transparency) especially with a Size, Position & Rotate
filter (broke in version 20.06).
- Fixed seeking video in some files particularly AVCHD (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed changing Properties > Video > Color Range does not work (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed selecting text with the mouse in various filter numeric fields (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed difficult to enter some numbers in various filter numeric fields (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed unable to make tracks as short as before (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed time bar in Timeline & Keyframes hidden on vertical scroll and not clickable (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed scroll bars in Timeline & Keyframes may clash with clips or keyframes making them difficult to use
(regression in v21.01).
- Fixed keyframes disappear when changing selected clips on various filters (broke in v21.01):
- Fixed appending to the timeline may change the current track.
- Fixed Properties > Extract sub-clip on a file with cover art.
- Fixed File > Export Frame on a clip with a Text: Rich filter.
- Fixed toggle Properties > Image sequence may deadlock on high frame rate video mode or break playback.
- Fixed Timeline > Merge with next clip may move other clips on the track.
- Fixed undo a trim in point on Timeline may shift other clips on the track.
- Fixed undo after trim in point to create a 1 frame transition may delete the clip.
- Fixed right-click in Playlist icons view mode breaks multiple selection on Windows.
- Fixed Properties > Convert after Timeline > Detach Audio makes video black.
- Fixed some keyboard shortcuts may be broken when not using Settings > Language > English (United States).
- Fixed possible crash on Windows due to not loading the packaged DLL over one in a system folder or in
- Fixed a crash when selecting a missing video clip.
- Fixed unicode in Text: Rich > Save As followed by Open.
New Version 21.01.29: AV1 Codec Support
Jan 29, 2021
Version 21.01.29 is now available for DOWNLOAD!
- Added support for AV1 decoding and encoding.
A lot of people are unexepectedly downloading AV1 from YouTube, and this makes Shotcut comptible with those files.
(Please be aware that AV1 encoding is naturally very slow and that is not a bug.)
- Added an Advanced mode to the Properties > Convert to Edit-friendly dialog with:
- Added detection of a HDR transfer function (ITU-R BT.2020 or SMPTE ST2084) to automatically show Convert dialog.
- Added Convert to BT.709 colorspace that provides HDR-to-SDR tone mapping!
This helps a lot of people who are recording games in HDR and were surpised by the poor colors when editing in Shotcut.
- Added Deinterlace option (bwdif) that outputs one frame for each field.
- Added Override frame rate and Frame rate conversion with Blend and Motion Compensation options.
(Please be aware that Motion Compensation is very slow and that is not a bug.)
- Added Use Higher Performance Waveforms to Timeline and Keyframes menus (default on).
- Added a red outline around the thumnbail of the currently opened Playlist item.
- Added video filter Reduce Noise: Quantization.
- Added Color space and Color transfer to Properties > Video.
- Improved multi-threaded performance of video track blending and some video filters:
- Alpha Channel: View
- Chroma Key: Advanced
- Chroma Key: Simple
- Elastic Scale
- Key Spill: Advanced
- Key Spill: Simple
- Mask: Apply
- Noise: Keyframes
- White Balance
- Improved the playback speeds of fast forward and rewind to not be so fast and more usable.
- Changed Playlist to not automatically start playback when adding to the playlist of an empty project.
- Changed keyframe interpolation Discrete to Hold (simple rename).
- Changed the default option in the Convert to Edit-friendly dialog to MP4 and reduce its output size (crf).
- Finished converting Timeline, Filters, & Keyframes to Qt Quick Controls 2 API.
- Upgraded MLT to version 6.24.0 (+).
- Upgraded Qt to version 5.15.2 for Linux & Windows and 5.12.10 for macOS.
- Fixed image skewed with odd width when using certain combinations of filters and transitions (broken in v20.11).
- Fixed being unable to pick transparent black in filters with color pickers (broken in v20.11).
- Fixed some tooltips in Timeline, Filters, & Keyframes not showing on multi-monitor systems (broken in v20.10).
- Fixed Zoom in Scale, Position & Rotate does not always default and undo at 100% (broken in v20.10).
- Fixed crash with files having more than 32 multiplexed streams.
- Fixed quality-based VBR encoding with the VP8 Export > WebM preset.
- Fixed leading zeros for seconds in Timer video filter with MM:SS.SSS or SS.SSS formats.
- Fixed support for explicit fractional high DPI (e.g.
- Fixed bad text formatting when File > Open a plain text file in Text: Rich filter.
- Fixed drag-n-drop from Playlist when a project (MLT XML clip) is in Source player.
- Fixed using the numeric keypad for some shortcuts.
- Fixed selecting the same filter Preset again.
- Fixed Export File does not check for missing files.
New Version 20.11.28
Nov 25, 2020
Version 20.11.28 is now available for DOWNLOAD!
The main purpose of the 20.11 release is to address problems as a result of the major changes to our main app library
and build processes as mentioned in previous release.
- Fixed running on macOS 11.0 Big Sur.
- Fixed Properties > Reverse job always fails (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed dropping multiple files to Timeline (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed Timeline, Keyframes, and Text: Rich editor menus and drop-downs in all filters not showing on systems with multiple monitors (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed drop-downs in all filters not showing the correct value when the filter is reselected (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed appearance of Settings > Theme > System on Windows and macOS (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed text looks too big in Windows with display scale 150% (regression in v20.10).
- Fixed Size, Position & Rotate filter when a size value becomes 0, possibly while editing the field (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed some library dependencies not bundled in Linux (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed Size, Position & Rotate distorting the aspect ratio when image width or height > 16000 (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed clicking Open in LUT filter on Linux Snap crashes (broke in v20.10).
- Fixed bad performance regression and high memory usage when automatically scrolling timeline during playback (regression in v20.09).
- Reduced memory usage on systems with more than 8 CPU threads.
- Fixed high memory usage when increase Properties > Speed large amount with Pitch Compensation on.
- Fixed showing the convert dialog twice when dropping files to Timeline.
- Fixed Size, Position & Rotate filter behavior in generated slideshow.
- Fixed hiding a filter’s VUI when the playhead is not over the filtered clip.
- Fixed a possible crash when audio waveforms are updated in the background.
- Fixed simple keyframes for Stretch X & Y parameters of Corner Pin video filter.
- Fixed some of the undo buttons in the Corner Pin video filter.
- Fixed jagged edges on text in the Text: Rich editor.
- Fixed cursor disappears between some characters in the Text: Rich editor.
- Fixed proxy generation when video includes cover art/thumbnail.
- Fixed a possible crash when drag clip to empty timeline after closing a project with multiple tracks.
- Improved behavior when press enter/return in the current position timecode field.
- Made it is easier to choose opaque black in the color chooser dialogs.
- Changed numeric fields in Size, Position & Rotate and Text: Rich to require Enter, Tab, or click outside (de-focus) to apply the change. This prevents the filter going to weird or undesired sizes or positions as you enter values.
- Changed Text: Rich default size and postion to have a 10% margin inside the frame.
- Added a warning dialog when the computer is getting low on available memory.
- Added Properties > menu > Set Equirectangular….
- Added a Start Offset time parameter and Apply transform option to the 360: Stabilize video filter.
- Added a Show Grid option to the 360: Transform video filter as a visual aid.
- Added a dialog to confirm trying to add or paste filters to Timeline > Output.
- Added Move Up, Move Down, and Deselect buttons to Filters.
- Added command line option
--QT_SCALE_FACTOR_ROUNDING_POLICY that accepts values:
Round, Ceil, Floor, RoundPreferFloor, PassThrough.
The default is
Round except on Windows where it is
RoundPreferFloor, which makes it treat 150% like 100% to reduce the UI text size.